Sunday, November 16, 2008

Recommended Reads

Kate asked me what books I would recommend from my list of books I have read...

The links below are to posts where I write about the book.

My favorite for 2008 so far...
1. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - I have read it 4 times this year. It really was an inspiring and touching book for me at this time in my life when I am uncertain of who I am/what I want.
2. Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - This book on my goodreads.com list is only 4 stars but really it is a 5 star book. I gave it 4 stars because I wasn't thrilled with how it ended. But once I got away from the book/characters because I was so attached to it/them - I can see it is a 5 star book. This book really got me invested emotionally and mentally. I wanted to keep on going with them for a long time and sad it ended.
3. I really like all books with vampires or werewolves so the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers was a favorite. This series also got me really invested in the characters. I wanted to know what happened to Edward and Bella. And so I kept on reading the whole series. Good, interesting page turners.
4. Kitty series by Carrie Vaughn - which is about werewolves mostly but also vampires. The first 2 books were just okay - enough to make me want to read the rest but not developed enough. But the last 2 books including the one I am linking to have had really good character development. And I can't wait for the next on to be out.
5. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlian - I really enjoyed the plot and characters of the book. I have actually read many books by Diane Chamberlian this year and know she will be my list to always read. Her books are easy reads but interesting plots that make them page turners.

Last year had some really good books too...
1. Outlander series by by Diana Gabaldon - I started it in 2007 and finished it 2008 and loved the whole series. It is about Claire Randall who on her second honeymoon touches a stone goes back in time. It has adventure and romance throughout the whole series. How it is written with some Scottish words in it was hard to get used to but then the story just captured me so that you get into it. And I couldn't wait to see what happened.
2. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - How it is told - the view point is really interesting. Good story and emotions that come with it.
3. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd - I really don't say much about the book in this link but it was a really touching story that made me laugh, cry and just made me feel a part of the story
4. He, She and It by Marge Piercy - a sci-fi with legends and romance
5. My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due - Basically a thriller that I read in one night.

No comments: