Monday, June 04, 2007

My Soul to Keep

I found some more books that I hadn't read. We have books all over and I forgot that I had found a few a while back when reorganizing some things. I also added with the 3 books I had never read - 2 old books that I read in college both of them by Jack Kerouac as I hardly remember reading them.

One of the books I found on Saturday night before bed and I finished it this morning. It was really suspenseful. And different....it wasn't a vampire story but I know when I initially picked it up years and years ago was because it had that feel when I read the bookcover.

The book My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due. From the bookcover: "What would people be like if they never aged, never got sick and never died? Jessica is about to find out. She is a Miami investigative reporter with a beautiful daughter, Kira, and a husband David so long, brilliant and attentive that she calls him Mr. Perfect. Suddenly however, her life takes a terrifying turn. Her best friend is brutally murdered and Jessica discovers an ancient, unimaginable danger that will shatter her life and family - forever. Dawit is an immortal. More then four hundred years ago he and a sect of Ethiopian scholars traded their souls for eternal life. Obeying a vow of secrecy. Dawit has traveled the world as a solider, a slave, a jazz musician -- never staying anywhere long enough for others to notice he does not age. As further insurance with barely a though he kills any mortal who dares to be come too curious about him. For the first time, though, it is Dawit who threatens to break his vow and defy his brothers by keeping his beloved mortal wife and child with him -- forever."

I couldn't put it down. I kept thinking just a few more pages and then 50 pages later I would finally decide okay I need to get to bed but I really wanted to just keep reading. It is really a great story with romance but also with supernatural suspense. When I went to look for it on amazon just now to see what people said about it, I found out there is a sequel...I want to read it too! So adding that to my list of need to read book.

No comments: