Sunday, April 06, 2008

Review of Eat Pray Love

This is the review I did for my goodreads.com account...

When I first saw the book out, I will admittedly say I didn't pick it up because of the word pray in it. I am a spiritual person and I pray but I assumed that because it had the word pray in the title it might be overly conservative Christian in a way that doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind some things I read about Christianity but there are others that really irritate/annoy me (which can be said about many things - politics, movies, books and so on.) Then a friend read the book and did an really good review on it that made me want to read it but I still had that lingering feeling from the word pray. But that was really unfair of me. Although instead of buying it, I waited 5 months before my name was on top of the list at the library. And then of course after just being a few chapters in I was wishing I would have my own copy because I wanted to much to underline and mark passages in the book.

In reading some reviews, I wasn't surprised by many people saying that Gilbert is self-absorbed or whining like she is the only one in the world that has went through pain. But what I am not sure I understand is what you expect when you pick up someone memoirs. It is about that person and their journey. From the beginning of the book, she says this is about her. It is self-absorbed but for me it was in a way that I still could relate on a personal level. And it wasn't overly self-absorbed - she shared history of the areas she was in, she shared stories of friends and family so if was completely self absorbed we wouldn't have saw those things in the book. And again her self-absorbed passages I could relate too.

The other thing complained about was she was rich - got to travel for a year on her advance and then gets the guy in the end still. That it all seemed so easy for her. I think she does a good job of being very grateful for the gifts life has given her. The gifts that come her way. I am not a rich person and only traveled a little but her journey is still one I could appreciate. I am not sure I understand being upset by her good fortune.

As I mentioned above that she wrote about the history of each area too. That was another complaint as many felt it was boring. I liked it but I like history. I am horrible at remembering timelines and dates but I enjoy reading it and learning about it even if I can't retain it in an accurate timeline with correct dates.

This year has been a journey of re-evaluation of my life. And so many of Gilbert's thoughts were like she was inside my head. I enjoyed her style of writing - the honesty, the humor, the stories all touched me. I enjoyed it so much I started to reread it before I returning it to the library. And now I have my own copy and it already has quite a few little flags sticking out of it. I know it is a book I will pick up often. I know I will see knew things in it each time. And I am glad I have it on my bookshelf.

No comments: