Wednesday, April 30, 2008

100 Things | As the World Turns

9. Okay I am going to admit this - I like
As the World Turns.


This is a 100 Things about me post but also asking everyone to help out. The American Family Association who is trying to get Proctor & Gamble who owns As the Worlds turns to stop a Gay story line
.

I hadn't watched in probably 10 or more years until recently if I am cleaning around that time or have mounds of clothes to fold you can see it on in the living room. It is a rare occasion maybe once a month. We didn't have local TV until just shortly before Fall 2007. So now that we do and I have started to watch more network TV (such as Moonlight and Oprah).

I feel like
As the World Turns
and I grew up together. I know that sounds really silly but it is a family-thing. My Mom watched it with her Mom and I watched it with my Mom and both my paternal and maternal Grandmothers. My Mom works for the school systems so in the summer it was very much the part of our normal routine that my Mom and all 3 of her daughter sitting down to watch
As the World Turns
. So I turn it on now mostly because it does have sentimental value to me. Now I can laugh at some of the same plots I saw when I was in high school - oh the drama. But I also remember times I have shared with both my Grandmothers, my Mom and my sisters. Such as I remember all my Mom, sisters and I all watching Holden and Lily getting together as teens. And until just recently they were both still on the show (Lily just left and being replaced). My Grandmother couldn't stand Lisa and you could see her getting annoyed with the character. I have a really strong memory where I am sitting behind the rocking chair playing barbies and my Mom is sitting on the couch folding clothes and watching As the World Turns. I am I think about 6 years old in the memory. So as I said it is a family thing and does have weird sentimental value to me. I am glad it is still on and going strong.

So as I said at the beginning of this post --As the World Turns has a gay plot line. And I am THRILLED they that do. Posting story lines such as it makes it more mainstream and hopefully bring it more awareness and acceptance. Noah and Luke have gained some attention and been called repulsive and immoral which is just silly. The American Family Association wants P&G to stop the story line. P&G has a phone poll to ask if they should keep it or get rid of it and even if you don't watch the show I would like to ask that people call and do the poll. It is touch button you don't have to talk to anyone. Even if you don't watch As the World Turns -- giving them a call to let them know Gay story line is acceptable - shows support. Phone number and buttons to push detailed here. Thank you!

No comments: