Sunday, March 16, 2008

100 Things | Birthdays



















5. Birthdays are very important to me - not only mine but celebrating family and friends birthdays too.

My parents have always made birthdays a very BIG deal. It wasn't just a time to get presents and have cake. It was a time to celebrate your birth - that you were in this world. I am not even sure how to explain all the nuances of it that made it so special.

When my sisters and I were younger we had a tradition with my Dad. We would go out to eat at a nice restaurant with my Dad...just the birthday girl and my Dad. It would usually be the day before or after the birthday. I know looking back the reason they did that was because taking all 5 of us out to dinner at a place like that was not in their budget. But it still was a wonderfully special time to just share my birthday with Dad. When we lived in North Dakota, we didn't really do this as there was only a few places to eat out (one a Dairy Queen and another a pizza place). But when we moved to Omaha this tradition started. I remember that first birthday in Omaha - dressing up and going to a place that had candles and flowers on the table, dimmed lights and it was a table for two - my Dad and I celebrating my birthday. I still remember it so clearly. It is a wonderful memory that I will always cherish.

As I said above birthdays were about celebrating we were born and in the world. And my Mom really made it the day completely memorable and personal. From just the right words in a card to the special plate we got to have dinner on. It was red and I think it said "my special day" on it and celebrate maybe. But it always just a wonderful day of family and friends celebrating. Even quiet celebrations always seemed extraordinary.

So now when friends and family have a birthday, I like to make sure I remember them and celebrate their birthday. I want to acknowledge that they are special and loved. That I care that they were born on that day...thankful they were born. Whether it is through just a simple card or note saying Happy Birthday or a big party...it is a celebration of life....and important special life.


(photos of me - 1st birthday, 8th birthday and 12th birthday)

No comments: