Sunday, February 17, 2008

100 Things | Chinese Food

I love reading the 100 things about me a lot of bloggers have done. And a friend over at Two Frog Home is doing it her own style with pictures and post instead of the list. I am going to follow her lead and do individual posts - hopefully once a week and maybe at times with photos.

1. I like Chinese food.

I like Chinese food so much I could probably eat it everyday and not get sick of it. Chinese food is comfort food for me much like mac-n-cheese is for others.

When I was growing up, my family always liked all kinds of food. They all seemed adventurous to try new things and different flavors. But I was the odd duck. I just didn't like anything but pretty much all-American food. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, burgers, fries, sandwiches and so on are all things I enjoyed as a young girl. When my family would go to a Mexican restaurant, there had to be something American on the menu for me. The same went for a Chinese restaurant it would need to have American on the menu or something that I could eat. Most of the time I couldn't find anything on the menu that I would even think about eating. Oddly enough when my Mom made things at home with an international flair, I usually ate it with no problem. I just would get nervous about eating it other places.

I met my ex-husband and he really liked all sorts of foods. He encouraged me to try new things. He made it easy for me because he "got" my weird quirky anxiety of the whole process from ordering something I might not like. So he often ordered take out so that I could be in the comfort of our home to try things. He would let me pick it apart and taste all the different dishes. And so I came to enjoy all sorts of different foods such as Chinese food.

But Chinese food became a favorite. And as I said at the beginning of this post it is something I associate as comfort food. I love the flavors. I don't really have a favorite dish as I just like a variety. I like all sorts of the appetizers too...from Crab Ragoon to Potstickers. I even enjoy cooking Chinese food.

Michael liked Chinese food before I moved here but it wasn't something that he would think of for a first place to eat when going out. But after having me here he has come to enjoy it more. We don't have quite the variety I have had in other places I have lived but we have one place we do for take out and then another place that is a good sit down type. They are both very good. The take out place is 1.25 for a scoop (it is really more then a scoop - it is a big mounding scoop.)

I have lots of memories that revolve around Chinese food too which probably sounds very strange. Aydeen, one of my dearest friends, likes Chinese food so she and I would go and eat and talk and eat and talk. It is a good memory. When I lived in Cleveland, it was the first place I lived that delivered Chinese food so I have good memories of sitting with friends in the living room and having food arrive at the door. How could it get better Chinese food delivered straight to my door? I remember that first February here Michael calling me from work one night to tell me we were going out on a date. He took me to a Chinese restaurant. It was our first time sharing Chinese food but more importantly that night just was a fun flirty date. And is probably odd how clear it is in my mind but I am glad I remember it the way I do.

So there is number 1 of the 100 things about me: I like Chinese food. As Michael said just recently it is probably one way to win my heart invite me out for Chinese food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I can't wait to read more...

Darby said...

Thank you for inspiring me to start! :)