Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cake


This is a recipe that my Mom has baked many times over the years. It is a favorite of mine. I made it for Michael's Dad's birthday. It is an incredibly moist cake because of the oatmeal and boiling water.

1 3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup oatmeal
Combine and set aside

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
Cream the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl

2 eggs - add into the creamed butter and sugar

1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa
Mix together in medium bowl. Gradually add into the creamed mixture. Add in the oatmeal/water mixture. 

Pour into ungreased 9x13 (I live in high altitudes so now I grease everything and also I add 1/4 cup more flour). Top with 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans* and 12 ounces of milk chocolate chips (a bigger chip like Ghirardelli chips is prefered, but good with any milk chocolate chip). Bake in a preheated 350 degree for 30 minutes

* Nuts are optional. I don't make it with nuts as Michael doesn't like nuts.

NOTES:
My Mom's cake bakes higher then mine. I haven't figured out how to adapt it to high altitude yet and make it bake higher.

Print

No comments: