Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Golden Compass

We went to see The Golden Compass when we were in Denver. Michael's Mom was upset with the ending because she wanted to know what happened next. And I told her it she should be happy it ended where it did because the ending to book wasn't as "nice." She then asked me how the book ended and I told her. And she was like, "Oh no." She then agreed it was better where it ended.

I really enjoyed the first books adventure. I liked the gyptians, the people at Jordan, Iorek Byrnison. I wish Pullman would have developed the characters more so that I really cared about them but he made me interested because of the adventure.

So I enjoyed the second book too but on the other hand when I think about some aspects of the story and Will, I just get annoyed with Pullman. Again I don't think he developed the characters enough to make me care about them. And I actually didn't even like Will all that much because of the lack of developement. But the story is what pulled me more through the book - wanting to know what happens in the story....where it goes next. I am not sure I really like how the story turned out either.

Which made me think about His Dark Materials books the other night and wondering what age are they aimed for? Because really I felt the 2nd book was really a lot darker then the first. And now putting it with the first it they are fairly dark books....and I wonder how much could a child even comprehend of what he is saying. Or even enjoy it?

Tomorrow I pick up the 5th of the Outlander series. So at least a new book. Eat, Pray, Love is still out so I am on the waiting list for it.

No comments: