Saturday, July 23, 2005

Computers and Hawks, oh my!

It's been quite an adventure lately.

A couple of weeks ago my folks went out and got themselves a computer and basically learning how to make these darn contraptions from the ground up. Everything from turning on the computer, to how to run the mouse, double click, drag, the enter key - everything. So far, they are mastering the art of the mouse by playing solitaire and other games on the computer. (which ironically was the original design of the games to begin with - but everyone tends to forget that when they master the art of navigating using a mouse.)

I figure I touched my first computer in 1982 - so - now almost 23 years later, I didn't realize *all* of the things I've long since packed away in the book of knowledge -- a lot of things that I took for granted.. I've found myself backing up, re-thinking a section or two when I get the sense that I was talking a bit too geek.. I've been most impressed with how well they've picked it up!! (Yes, they get a really big gold star for all that they have learned!!) I'm really proud of them - as I know that much of this really seems daunting if not completely intimidating..

This week has been pretty stressful with work and then with meetings in Denver Friday, I didn't get a really good chance to give my folks any really good lessons that I did the week before.. After tweaking my back on a big box that I had to deliver to my car, having only slept for a small handful of hours the night before, we managed to get up early this morning so that we could attend a photo-op class near the foothills of the front range of Denver.. Hawkquest is a non-profit group, volunteer driven membership to further the education and awareness of some of the prettiest birds I've ever seen.. The early wake up call was well worth it.. I saw
four of the five birds in the group before my body couldn't take anymore and I began the trek back home..

More pictures to follow - including some shots I recently took over the 4th of July weekend.. I've been just a bit busy to work no anything other than the larger fires that seem to be creeping up..

For now, I'm drained - pretty darn tired and in need of sleep...

No comments: