Thursday, November 17, 2011

Visit to the ER

I went to the ER on Wednesday. My left calf swelled up to about 2 1/2 the size it is normally. It was really sensitive to the touch and just hurt from the pressure of it being swollen. I then also had some chest pain and coughing. Coughing so much that it felt like I had bronchitis. I went to my doctor and he sent me to the ER to check for a blood clot. I had an EKG which was fine. And an ultra sound on my leg and no blood clots were found. 

It actually looks like I have an infection in my leg - they treating me with powerful antibiotics and after not even 2 full days of being on them - my leg swelling has went down and hardly hurts, don't feel the pressure and it isn't as sensitive. It looks like I might have had a small cut that became infected and that sent my body into chaos. 

I fell 2 years ago and I have an area on my calf that normally looks like a very dry patch of skin and I wore a pair of lounge pants last week that are soft on the outside but on the inside not so much. I think they rubbed across the dry patch causing an abrasion that became infected. Even though looking at it there was no visible open scratch. It just became very red...looked angry in the area but when it is very dry - it sometimes does so I didn't think anything of it. 

The ER doctor wants me to follow up with my doctor on Monday. My doctor is out of town so seeing another doctor. But I think everyone will give me the clear that it is better. Because the ER doctor stressed about 10 times if isn't - I would be checking into the hospital for a stay to be treated with even more powerful antibiotic. Already stressing about the ER bill - so don't want to have to be staying in the hospital. 

Michael  of course said that I am worth the expene as he wants me around a long time. He was great - as he knows doctors freak me out and he did really well keeping me calm. 

In the end - I am feeling better and it looks like what they are treating me with is working. I feel better and my leg looks much better. So I think things will be okay. Just very scary. 

I was telling a friend - I think my warranty ran out at 43. I am 44 now but this last year has been a horrible horrible health year for me.

No comments: