Monday, September 14, 2009

Invisible Illness



Blogging...."To increase awareness of invisible illness; that nearly 1 in 2 people in the US have a chronic illness and about 96% of it is invisible."

I have written about my migraines several times. It isn't always invisible - Michael can look at me and see when I am in pain. But most people looking at me wouldn't know. I usually don't go a week without a migraine. And at times they are cycles where they last from 3 to 10 days. Every thing and every day with a migraine is measured. I wake up and gauge the level of pain and how much I will be able to accomplish.

I also have been diagnosed with clinical depression. And that is even more invisible because people look down on it.

"It is in your head."

"Just suck it up."

"I get down/headaches and get past so you can too."

I hear those things all the time. I have even heard them from doctors. For a very long time when I heard these things and it upset me and usually made my illnesses worse. But the older I get the more I realized I deserve to have a good life. My hope and my pursuit is to live my life the best I can dispite my illnesses. And having someone in my life like Michael gives me hope that everything will be okay as he sees and is very understanding and supportive of me. He gives me hope that I will find something that works for me to give me a better quality of life.

No comments: