Monday, March 16, 2009

Making Bulk Breakfast Burritos

I came across a link to an article about making "cheap" bulk breakfast burritos for quick morning breakfast. But their cheap, although might be cheap by some standards, weren't by mine. The burritos on that site came to .72 cents a piece. I made 20 burritos that ended up being .37 cents a piece. So Friday after dinner I realized I had all the ingredients and why not make some up.


$2.00 - 20 tortillas - I get tortillas from Sam's Club in a 36 pack (2 packs of 18)
$1.20 - 10 eggs (was going to use a dozen but only had 10 left in that carton)
$1.66 - 2 cups cheese - That is approximate that was in the bag. But I didn't use it all but just using the price for the bag. The cheese is again a Sam's Club purchase where I divide up a 5 lb package into smaller packages and freeze
$1.16 pinto beans - 2 cans - these were what I had on hand but of course doing dried beans in the crockpot would be easy and also much cheaper
.78 Rotel- 1 can - Sam's Club 8 cans in a pack
.62 green chilies - 1 can - these aren't in the package because I just needed a spoonful the other day for something so these weren't a full can but I would normally use a full can

Total = $7.42

So 20 burritos would be .37 cents a piece.


I cracked all the eggs into a bowl and mixed well. I then added the can of Rotel and green chilies. I poured into a pan coated with cooking spray. And cooked over medium heat.


Just before the eggs were fully cooked, I added the beans.



Place a good sized spoonful of egg mixture on a tortilla and top with some cheese.



Fold over the sides of the burrito so that they mostly cover the egg mixture


Fold over one end. And the roll up the rest of the way.


Fold complete after rolling it up the rest of the way.


On a tray to flash freeze* before putting into ziplocks.

To Microwave: I took straight from the freezer and microwaved for 1 minute. I am sure it will vary from microwave to microwave so that might be up to 2 minutes. In the other link it suggested defrosting in the microwave and then cooking. But the ones I made tasted good without defrosting and just microwaving for 1 minute on a plate.

Of course like stated at the link at the beginning there are many variations you could do to these. Add more veggies, different beans such as black beans or add some meat such as ground turkey or pork sausage.

* To Flash Freeze
Place food on a jelly roll pan in a single layer. Freeze until solid sometimes up to 8 hours. Just don't forget about it or it can cause freezer burn. After frozen, place in a zip-lock style bag and remember to remove all air. Label the bag usually with contents, directions and date depending on what it is that I am freezing. And then freeze bag for easy serving.

No comments: