Monday, January 19, 2009

We are One

I watched the We are One concert at the Lincoln Memorial yesterday on HBO with Michael. We were disappointed that HBO didn't air Rev. Gene Robinson's opening prayer. Supposedly it was the Inaugural committees fault. But still it was odd to me. If you didn't know Rev. Gene Robinson is an openly gay bishop of the Episcopalian Church. (Read the text and watch the youtube video)

Many things said and sang at the concert made me tear up. I am going to need a kleenex box planted next to me during this whole Inauguration.

So my favorite part of the concert was U2. I have been fans of theirs since high school - maybe junior high. As always Bono got political which of course at this type of concert was the right place. He commented that Obama's election is "not just an American dream but also an Irish dream, a European dream, an African dream, an Israeli dream and also a Palestinian dream." I also liked what he said about four Irish boys..."What a thrill for four Irish boys from the north side of Dublin to honour you sir, Barack Obama, to be the next president of the United States." They sang one of my favorites Pride(In The Name Of Love)- which is their tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.

So here is U2 form the concert....



* by the way the link above to We are One Concert is to HBO and it says watch now so looks like you can watch it online there.

No comments: