Sunday, October 21, 2007

Birthday Recap

This is a long long entry capturing my birthday and days surrounding it with my parents, Frank, JoAnne and Michael...plus photos from the art museum.

Wednesday - Our trip over the mountains was okay but not perfect we had snow, rain, wind, sleet and sunshine too. My parents got into Denver and had a bit to eat by the time we got there. After we checked them into their hotel, we went shopping! My parents had said they would just get me what I wanted when they were here for my birthday. I had decided I wanted new shoes. It is something I don't spend much money on - instead getting cheap shoes that will hurt my feet or be worn out after one season of wearing them - I knew I should get some good shoes for the winter. My favorite pair of mary janes are scuffed. And then my other pair is just not that attractive.

So we went to DSW and my Mom ended up buying me 3 pairs of shoes. My favorite pair is a pair of Born's which feel oh so good on my feet. I wore them Thursday and Friday and they didn't hurt and I am sure helped me be able to do all the walking we did those days. I can't find a picture of them online but they had a buckled like this one and then they had the top stitching like this one and are in black. I was looking for this pair - we went to 2 DSW's hoping to find them in my size but no go so I got the clogs instead.

I also got a pair of ballerina style tennis shoes that are the same as these in style but colors are different. Mine are blue almost a denim blue and then brownish tan. I have 2 jeans skirts I wear often so they will look really cute with those. And the other pair is Naturalizers that are similar to these - but not quite. Mine are brown suede with just one strap coming across instead of the crisscross straps. These are so comfy too but still not as comfy as the Born's.

After shopping we went to dinner and I had such a good potato soup. Yummy I miss potato soup - Michael isn't fond of cream based soups.

Thursday - We got up and met Michael's parents at my favorite breakfast place with my parents. They hit it off instantly! My Dad and Michael's Dad worked in the same field at one point and so they talked and talked and talked about that all weekend. My Dad isn't much of a chatterbox but he really did chat it up with Frank. So I am thankful that went so smoothly. We had a very good breakfast and then my parents, Michael and I went to the Denver Art Museum. They added a new building to it since we had went last time. And so it was really nice to go through it. I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of little extra features that I enjoyed - there was a postcard station to make your own postcard, there were lots of kid activities that we ended up doing too, lots of booklets to explain more about the pieces, a lot of coffee table art books and sitting areas throughout and just interesting ways to view some of the art. I like museums so it was a nice way to spend my birthday. There is a big sculpture in the front of a broom, dust pan and stuff being swept into it so Michael told my Mom and I to pose like we were being swept up too. It didn't quite work like he wanted but it was fun!

After we got all the way through, Michael wanted me to pick out some things in the gift shop to remember our time there. I got a box of note cards (modern and contemporary works), bookmarker (Ophelia by Arthur Hughes), and 2 magnets one that lists the eightfolds of Buddhism and then an Andy Warhol soup can magnet.

When we left the art museum Michael took us on a little tour of Denver. My Dad worked in Denver a lot so he remembered lot of places he had spent time at eating and working. And then we headed to Frank and JoAnne's where I opened presents. My sisters being such loving sisters decided to remind me it was my 40th birthday (something I avoided the whole weekend) by giving me 40 presents! Yes 40 presents including: the next ornament in the series I collect, socks, recipe cards, art supplies, notepads, hot cocoa mix, scented lotion, 40 dimes and much much more! Michael gave me DVD's - the new Serenity with the extra special features (it has a really cool dvd cover), Sound of Music (which I sing all the time around the house), Cinderella plus the early birthday gifts of Beauty and the Beast dvd and Belle doll! And then a very sexy loving card that was very touching. Frank and JoAnne gave me a gift card for Kohl's...which is a place I really like to shop. We just got one in Grand Junction last October.

Friday - We decided would be a good day for a day trip. My parents haven't been here in the fall so they could see some colors (that what is left at least) and the beautiful mountain scenery. So we went to Evergreen for breakfast and then headed to Central City for to gamble. Michael and I each won $50 so that was nice. My Mom won $80 and everyone else lost. From there we went to Silver Plume which looks pretty much like a ghost town. But there is a good bakery there and lots of photography opportunities. So we got a loaf of Asiago Herb bread and then went and photographed some old buildings. From there we went and had pizza at the place I mentioned a while back. I knew my parents would like it. And they did.

Saturday - We met up for breakfast. Michael had a meeting so while he went to his meeting Mom, Dad and I went shopping. I picked up some Christmas cookie cutters. I have some but I am getting sick of doing the same shapes every Christmas so now I have some new shapes. We went to Archivers too and I picked up several cute things there. After Michael's meeting, he met up with us and we all had Cold Stones before my parents headed to the airport and Michael and I headed to his parents to load up and head home.

We were worried about hitting a storm front over all the mountain passes but really we didn't have a problem until we hit Rifle which is only about 1 1/2 hours from home. Oh my...did we hit a storm. The winds were so bad people were driving with their 4-ways on - on the interstate. We decided to take back roads because some idiots were still driving speed limit. At one point we saw a big detour sign that had sand bags weighing it down lying in the middle of the road - but the thing about it the sign had been blown about 7 to 9 feet away from the sandbags. Michael had to have both hands on the wheel at all times to keep the car on the road. The rain was coming down in sheets at times and there was thunder and lightening. So it was fun...NOT! We were very very thankful to get home. When we got home, it wasn't raining but felt like it was going to start again soon so we had to unpack quickly. I had to break out thermals and wool socks last night it was so cold.

Overall - The weekend just hanging out with my parents was great. I enjoyed their company, seeing them and celebrating my birthday with them. I am thrilled michael's parents got along with my parents so well! And thankful for all they did this weekend to make it a special weekend for me.

I am always amazed by Michael....I think I see all he has in him and then he shows me something new. I mean I have seen his kindess and love before but it just always seems to go further. He made sure my birthday was so very special. He shows his love to me in so many ways....words and actions. We have a friend that always says she wishes Michael would give classes on creating a special occasion as he always tells her about how he celebrates my birthday and she is always envious. He does truly go out of his way to make it a celebration full of love and laughter. I am truly thankful for ALL he does for me not only for my birthday but always. Thank you Michael...thank you thank you for everything! I love you so very much!

Photos from the Denver Art Museum and one of Michael helping his Mom with some photography shots....

This is the outside of the old building. The new part is very angular and almost feels liek you are walking tilted when walking through it. But I got used to it and it was cool how the art could be displayed in some very unique ways.

Broom and Dust Pan

Andy Warhol Soup Cans

Close up of a soup can


Poppy painting with vase of poppies


Cool colored glass bar reflecting on the wall


And me...with a GIANT clothespin!

Michael & JoAnne in Silver Plume photographing an old church

No comments: