Friday, December 08, 2006

An Unexpected Link....

I stumbled upon a link to a blog that I thought for sure just looking at where it was originating from I wasn't going to like it. But that was pretty closed minded of me. In a swift judgment I decided I wouldn't like his views without even opening and reading. Not something I like that I did and want to work on that more. I am sure this person and I don't share all views but I do have to say many things he says in the handful of entries I have read - I was thoroughly impressed.

The link is from a Catholic Monk. The Spiritus Project: liberating the Message of Christ from Christianity

His latest entry is what prompted this post....to share his blog with others...
Santa's not the real problem...

It is the message I have believe for a long time....inclusion, tolerance, giving, and love. It is a message I feel we don't hear often enough.

So I have spent the last 30 minutes reading other entries...
This link he uses a quote from RENT on the bottom of it...and again another message of tolerance, inclusion....not the us vs them that is the norm of these days.

Even this entry...where I don't agree with him...I enjoy reading his thoughts. I am pro-choice. And pro- stem cell research. But he is the first person I have seen that is pro-life - in the terms that I think of as actually pro-life.

He talks of a book both Michael and I would like to get...
"The Bible is not divine. God alone deserves our worship. Bibliolatry, worshipping the words of Scripture instead of the God they manifest, absolutizing them and using them out of context, is a most insidious vice...Read it correctly; read it as a whole. Don't fall into the trap of using the Scriptures to self-righteously condemn everything from homosexuality and abortion to people of non-Christian faiths. Taking the Bible literally and simplistically without regard to its literary forms, historical context, and even its use by the living tradition of the Church, ultimately is a sterile exercise." From: "In the Spirit of Happiness" by the Monks of New Skete, 1999

No comments: