Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Cheesy Chili Hash Brown Bake


I found this recipe via Pinterest and then followed it to myrecipes.com....

This recipe isn't health food and involves what I consider convenience foods. But it was easy and tasted like comfort food.  I changed it slightly. They baked it in individual dishes and I didn't want to go through that hassle frankly.  So I just made it in a 9 x 13 so I am writing the recipe like I made it. Follow the above link if you want to see the original.

 Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey (I used turkey)
  • (15.5-oz.) can sloppy joe sauce
  • (15-oz.) can chili with beans (I used hormel turkey with beans)
  • 1/2 (30-oz.) package frozen country-style shredded hash browns (about 4 cups)
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation

  • 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Brown ground beef/turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 7 to 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in sloppy joe sauce and chili.
  • 2. Spoon chili mixture into a 9 x 13 pan that is lightly coated with cooking spray. Top with frozen hash browns.
  • 3. Bake, covered, at 425° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until browned and crisp. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
NOTES:  It took longer then 10 minutes for my top to crisp up and still wasn't crisp all over but was hungry so just topped with cheese and did the final 5 mins. So allow for 10 to 15 mins on the time to crisp the tops of the hash browns.  I think next time I make it I might bake covered 25 mins and uncovered 15 to 20 mins. And then top with cheese. 


No comments: