Saturday, June 09, 2007

Cleaning Day

While cleaning this morning it came back to me...the smell that will bring me back home to my childhood quicker then anything -- even baked good and that does bring me back as my family has a line of really wonderful cooks. But the smell that brings me back quickly....is vinegar. I clean with vinegar and as soon as I do a spray of vinegar water solution on a rag I go back to when I was little girl. My Mom cleaned with vinegar so it is a clean smell for me. It smells like spring cleaning. It smells like Saturday mornings. My Mom would clean on Saturdays because she worked during the week, so Saturdays were the cleaning days. I would wake up on Saturday mornings to the smell vinegar. My Mom would open the windows, have a stack of records on the stereos turntable playing all sorts of music from Anne Murry to Elvis to ELO....and floating through the house was the smell of vinegar and my Mom singing to the music. It is a good memory for me. And now when I clean I think of those mornings waking up to Mom cleaning.

No comments: