Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Host

The Host (The Host, #1)The Host by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I liked Twilight series and can't wait to see the movies. It is geared for young adults, but I was one of the many adults that enjoyed it. I was worried Meyers wouldn't really capture an adult audience, but this story and how it is told is an amazing read.  If you weren't a fan of Twilight I say still pick this up, because this was such a better story than Twilight. This book just pulled me and captured my attention on so many levels for me. 

I read this book in two nights.  I probably could have finished it in one night if I had started it a little earlier in the evening.   It was a little slow and hard to follow at first, but then I was sucked into the story and didn't want to put it down.  It made me laugh, cry and really feel for all the characters.

Wanderer is kind and smart. She is emotionally and mentally strong. With a big heart...she doesn't want to hurt anyone.  She thinks of others first.  While she was the character that I liked the most, there are other characters great characters. Melanie is strong and tough - both physically and emotionally.  She is most like the average human. If in the same situation they would act like her. Ian was another character I enjoyed also-  almost more then any of the other males.  He was able to see what the group was doing to Wanda. He changed and saw beyond the human's fears.

I felt the characters were developed well.  They suffer and their core ethics and morality are tested, but provide emotional release and show those better parts of ourselves. Love conquers all --- even across species. That isn't exactly a new theme, but Meyer really tells  great story  bringing  the situation to life - transporting us through it.


View all my reviews

Now the movie will be coming out in March and they released a trailer yesterday....looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see it.


No comments: