Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wine

I was not a big wine person until I met Michael. He told me I had not had a good wine. And of course he was right. I had cheap dry wines that give me headaches before I met him. But now I drink smooth wines that each give a sensory experience...the smell, the color, the taste and the feel of them. The area we live in has quite a few wineries. And all of them have their unique award winning wines. And now I prefer wine over a harder drink.

Here is a couple links about Colorado Wine in general....

Colorado Wine
Colorado Wine Fest

We enjoy wine that is medium-dry to semi-sweet to very sweet. I do really enjoy the fruity flavor coming through in some of the blends also. We have a lot of Colorado fruit growers in the area so many do a blend of fruit with the wine.

Saturday we went to St. Kathyryn's Cellars first. I tried 3 or 4 different wines. But my favorites were Cranberry Kiss and Ruby Red. Cranberry Kiss is sweet but not too sweet as it has that Cranberry tang too. It is beautiful color and smell is so nice too. Ruby Red is a little bit dryer but still sweet. Again a beautiful color and smell.

Next went to Rocky Mountain Meadery. Mead is actually wine made out of honey instead grapes. The woman in the winery was very helpful and also just so sweet and beautiful. She came to the area 20 years ago with the plan to only stay one year and has been here ever since. Lancelot and Camelot are the ones Michael picked up. He really liked the mead. Lancelot is medium dry. And Camelot is sweet. It is so smooth. I was surprised how smooth the taste was in them.

Finally we ended our mini tour with Carlson's Vineyard as it is our favorite. They had a special on their Laughing Cat Red Wine so we got 2 bottles of that. And then the Laughing Cat Sweet Baby Red Wine as I wanted those to go with dinner. We ended up only drinking one bottle as we had quite a bit of wine on the little wine tour. The Laughing Cat Sweet Baby Red is sweet but not too sweet. It says on their site that it is blend from a merlot. The Laughing Cat Red Wine is a mellow red that is just all around good table wine. And at the price they were offering it right now it was hard not to pass up...so we didn't!

It was really their wines that made me start appreciating wine. The first wine I fell in love with there was their Gewurtztraminer. It is a spicy peppery wine but with a little sweetness to it also. And now our favorite wine from Carlson's is Fat Cat Muscat. It is so smooth. And the flavor just pops. Mrs. Carlson suggested taking and pouring a little of it in a champagne flute and then topping it off with champagne and a couple frozen grapes! Oh my that sounded exceptional. Maybe I can ask Michael if we can do that for our anniversary as we do have a bottle of champagne.

I have drank I think all of Carlson's wines and there is not one that I don't like. The cherry wine is great when you dip the glass into a melted chocolate....tastes like chocolate covered cherry. I really wanted another bottle of the Apricot but they have sold out of it.

We mostly drink local wines but we pick up others too. We enjoy medium dry to sweet wines. We have drank different labels in the Gewurtztraminer, Rieslings, Shiraz, Merlots, and Chardonnays. I also got a wine journal this weekend from my Mom so I want to start keeping closer track of what we drink and enjoy.

No comments: