Thursday, April 24, 2014

Red Robin's Black Beans Recipe

When I got out of surgery, of course, I was hungry. Michael had been joking around with me about him going to get a burger and I was of course dreaming of them before the end of the day. A couple days after surgery, Michael stopped to get Red Robin as take out. We invited Wendy come over so she went to order and pick it up with him. She opted to get Black Beans instead of fries with her burger. I had a taste and OH MY...they were so very good. I instantly thought I need to replicate these. So here is my version of Red Robin's Black Beans. I served with Chicken Fajitas, but look forward to serving them with other Mexican dishes.


1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers with liquid
1 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
a dash ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans - rinsed
Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook about 2 minutes; then stir in garlic, and cook until onion is soft and translucent.  Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2 to 3. Serve with sour cream.

No comments: