Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Frittata



Frittata is so good and also so easy. You can add almost anything to it. The base component of a frittata is eggs - then you add veggies, cheese, meat and seasoning to it. I love using left overs. Last night I made one with mushrooms, broccoli, a little pepper jack cheese, potatoes and then some chopped turkey I threw in too at the last moment. I used smoked paprika and black pepper as my only seasonings and it was fantastic.

The one in the photo above, I used for brunch when I had left over roasted peppers and mushrooms. I threw in potatoes and breakfast sausage. A frittata is great meatless too - I have done cheese, potatoes and spinach. I like potatoes in mine because I like the structure of the egg around the potato, but they are good without potatoes too.

As I said I made it for dinner last night, but I have made it for brunch and just whipped up spur of the moment late lunch.  It is easy to make too which makes it perfect.

Frittata
4 small to medium sized russet potatoes - sliced and cooked - I just boil in the microwave
1/4 cup of bell peppers
1/2 cup of mushrooms
1/4 cup of onions
1 to 2 cups ground breakfast sausage
1 cup shredded cheese
10 eggs
3 tablespoons milk (cream or half-n-half will work too)
Seasonings - your preference - this one I did rosemary, pepper and thyme

Heat oven to 400

In a medium bowl mix eggs, milk and seasonings. Set aside.

In a 10-in. or 12 in. ovenproof skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned and almost cooked through. Drain grease and add in bell peppers, mushroom and onions.(You could add in potatoes and cook them now too, but I like mine done ahead.) Cook until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and add in cheese. Pour egg mixture over veggies and sausage. Stir once before putting it in the oven.

Cook for 15 to 20 mins until eggs are set.Cool for 10 mins and cut into wedges to serve.

NOTE
* You can up the veggies to 1/2 cup or 1 cup - I just added what I had left and again that is what is great about a Frittata you really can't go wrong with just adding whatever is in the fridge left over from the previous meals.

No comments: