Saturday, July 07, 2012

What was said and What I hear

I know that people sometimes say things that we can take wrong. But I feel most of the time it is our own internal negative messages that start playing and interpreting what was said in a totally different meaning. I still hear things that weren't actually said, but I know I have gotten better with it and shutting down negative processing because of Byron Katie's The Work.


I ask myself the 4 questions of  The Work....
1. Is it true?
2. Can you absolutely know that it's true?
3. How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? 
4. Who would you be without the thought?


I think when you first start doing the work, doing all the questions and the turnabout really help in rewiring those negative thoughts that come with what we hear verses what was actually said.  After doing this for a bit though, I can say to myself when the tapes start playing - Is it true?  And really with that I can shut them down. But before I always created loop holes and so those other questions and the turnabout were important to help me in processing.

Really people can mean something one way and say it another. So how we do take it can be accurate but really that is their problem - they have an issue then to work through so still by doing the work I ask if it is true and let it go.  

So either way The Work - works for me to help process my own negative tapes and acknowledge the present moment.

No comments: