Thursday, February 25, 2010

Going Green

Last year I checked out several books on natural cleaning and just getting back to basics that eliminate toxins in our home. A couple of the books scared me at times and made me realize all the things in our home that have toxins.

You know how all the organic and fresh foods in the grocery store is more expensive than the processed and pre-packaged foods? Well the same goes with the house. Anything that is less toxic costs more. Which both of those just sound amazingly stupid as you would think there would be less cost to the fresh foods then all the making and packaging of the processed. And less-chemicals in paints and floorings - should be less expensive to me. But it isn't. It is hard when we are thinking of (future) remodeling - and we look at the costs of the less-toxic flooring, paints and so on.

But one way that I can help not have as many toxins in our life is by using more natural cleaners. I know that some have toxins but not like the harsh chemicals used in store-bought pre-packaged cleaners. So for over a year I have been going green in my cleaning products. I just have gradually eliminated one after another. I have mostly cleaned with combinations of - vinegar, baking soda, dish soap and tea tree oil.

I have 2 spray bottles in the kitchen one with just vinegar and water and then another with vinegar and tea tree oil. I have a spray bottle in each bathroom with the the tea tree oil mixture. And then one spray bottle with just straight vinegar and shaker bottle with baking soda that I have around to use in the kitchen and bathroom.

I want to make my own dishwasher detergent and also laundry detergent but in our smallish town they don't carry washing soda. I have called everywhere here and was going to start calling places in Denver to possibly pick up next trip over the mountains. In the past when I have search for it online - I knew that the shipping costs would be horrible so put that out of my mind but recently I did another search for it and I discovered Alice.com*. They have washing soda for less then I have seen anywhere and they have FREE SHIPPING.

So when we get back from Keystone I will make an order. And I can't wait to start making some new cleaners. I know it will save money using natural and homemade cleaners plus it will be less-toxic to us.


(*I will have a new post on Alice.com)

No comments: