Monday, August 09, 2010

Of Bees and Mist

Of Bees and MistOf Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This review is long overdue. I was thrilled when I got the offer to read this book - as I love to read. And particularity like fantasy books. But I will admit I was a little hesitant on IF I would like this book based on reading the synopsis of it. I was wrong as it ended up being a page turner for me. I stayed up until 4am to read because I just couldn't put it down. It surprised and delighted me.

I would call it a mixture of fable and fantasy. Erick Setiawan has a wonderful imagination to create such a fantastical novel. The characters are throughly developed and the setting is magical and intriguing.

This story follows Meridia, who grows up in a cold, unfeeling home. Her mother acts as though she often isn't there. And her father despises her. Her parents aren't a loving husband and wife. Instead they barely interact with each other. So essentially Meridia is invisible in her home. One day meets Danial at the town fair. She falls in love with him and they marry. They move in with his family and at first his family seems nice and happy - totally opposite of her cold harsh childhood home. But things change and she finds out they aren't what they first appeared to be and she might have escaped one unhappy house and to end up in one that is more disturbing to her.

I was really engrossed in the story of Meridia. I rooted for her and felt like she was a friend. I was sorry to see the book come to end and knew I would miss her.

All those details might sound like an everyday domestic drama story but there is much more to this book. Again it is a magical and captivating place with deeply developed characters. It is a book that is hard to explain and hoped to be picked up to experience bees and the mist.


View all my reviews

No comments: