Thursday, August 23, 2007

Green Neon

A long time ago our neighbor a very nice older man lost his job. His life partner has all sorts of health problems so they really relied on his income. At the same time his car died. Well my car had been just sitting in the driveway and we were unsure of what we were going to do with it. It had problems and I didn't need a car so it just sat there. Our neighbor asked about it and told us about everything going on and basically asked if we would sell the car to him. Michael said lets us discuss it that evening and suggested that I give our neighbor the car. Yes you read that right give him the car. Michael thought that was a good idea - not only nice but considering the problems they might have with it - we just didn't feel right selling it to him. The car was paid off. It was about 140,000 miles on it. The bumpers were starting to rust through. And I felt the transmission was going to go soon plus it had a few other problems. I told him ALL THIS. He is handy with cars so when I offered to give it to him he was very touched. I told him he might not be once he figured out all the work he needed to do (he looked it over when he asked to buy it so really he knew all the problems.) But he was getting a free car so even if it didn't work he felt he still was on the winning end of that bargin. Well he never got it to work right. Today I was hearing all sorts of cars....I would hear them revving up, I just heard idling motor but thought it sounded like a truck. I was in the middle of something at that moment but soon took a peek. My car was gone. He had another car in the garage in its place that it looked like he was working on. I believe the motor of the truck was a tow truck taking my car away but I missed it by the time I peeked.

It felt a little weird...I mean he has had the car a while but I always saw it. So it didn't really feel like it was gone. That car has went through big changes in my life and it really fit me. I don't even like to drive but I liked my car. So I feel a little nostalgic about it. Even though in the end I know that it was better off giving it to him because he really needed it.

No comments: