Friday, June 02, 2006

Mock Ravioli

I made Mock Ravioli last night for dinner

3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese (I use the skim milk ricotta cheese)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup of chopped onions
2 teaspoons of chopped basil
2 teaspoons of oregano
parsley (didn't measure)
1 egg (I forgot this last night and still worked and tasted fine)
1 pound sweet Italian sausage (I use the turkey sweet Italian) - sliced
1 package of won-ton wrappers
2 to 3 cups of red sauce - homemade or store bought

In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, 1 beaten egg, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until it is brown and cooked through, drain and set aside.

Working 1 at a time, place a little mound of cheese filling in the center of each wonton wrapper. I don't measure but maybe it is about a tablespoon. Top with a slice of the sausage. With a pastry brush or a finger, dab a small amount of water along the edges of the won ton wrapper. You can either fold them and half or top with another whole wonton wrapper (which is what I did last night). Press the edges together with a fork. I will sometimes flip them over and press again on that side to make sure they are sealed as you don't want them to leak when you boil them. Place on a baking sheet lightly dusted with flour and cover with wrap to prevent from drying out. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. You can make these up to 2 hours ahead time and just tightly cover with some plastic wrap and refrigerate. But only do them 2 hours ahead of time or they might either dry up or get soggy.

To cook the ravioli, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In batches, add the ravioli and cook until they are tender and float to the top, about 2 minutes. Gently remove with a slotted spoon and drain. To serve place on a plate, top with some sauce and sprinkle with grated Parmesan.

Here are some pictures while I made them:

Bowl of Ricotta with sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil, chopped garlic, onion


Mixture, piece of sausage on wonton wrappper. I am sorry I didn't get one after I put the other wrapper on but my hands were all sticky from working with the wrappers and water.

After I boiled...


Serving...

No comments: