Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Our Trip to North Dakota...Part 1

(click on photos to see a bigger view)

I haven't written about our trip yet and basically it is because I have been so so busy and also sick. We left October 2 and then came home the 14th and left the 17th again. We come home again on the 19th. And then I was sick with the stomach flu this past week and now I have been struck with migraines all week.

Thursday October 5th - It was our first day of travel and went stopped in Rapid City overnight. We had dinner with the Presidents. After checking into our hotel, we grabbed some subway and then went up to Mt. Rushmore during dusk, had dinner and waited for the lights to come on. Michael got some great pictures.

On Friday October 6th we arrived in North Dakota. We did a quick stop at Grandma's before heading to the hotel to unload everything and just relax a few minutes before dinner. Friday night was a lot of fun. Dinner with my Mom, Dad, aunt, uncle, cousin and his wife. And then after that to a bar with karoke. My sisters and other cousin joined us there when they got in town. My Mom sang 1 song, my cousin sang on and then my Mom and cousin sang one together. There was MUCH laughing and when many many many times during the evening Michael and I both commented that this is times we should be capturing on film.

Saturday was Grandma's 90th birthday party and I saw many people I recognized but wasn't sure of names. And many reintroduced themselves and several names I got wrong. And some I recognized right away. My Grandma is one of 15 brother and sisters so there is LOTS of relatives. One of her brother's had a farm not too far from Grandma and Grandpa's farm so I have many fond memories of her brother and his wife and family. And they seemed just the same as my memories of them as a little girl. In actual time to of spending with my family, I didn't get a lot. I got to do breakfast with my sisters Saturday morning. And then I got a few minutes here and there with everyone else.

Saturday evening we went to the bar again. A cousin from my Dad's side of the family who I have always been close too came out too...her and her husband. It was nice to chat with them a little bit. We didn't stay out too late but just a little bit of time.

I don't get to see my family very often but one thing we always do...is appreciate ANY time we get together and try not to make each other feel bad about not seeing each other more often. I am very thankful for that as it makes visiting easier and more enjoyable. As much as I would love to spend more time with everyone...it just isn't possible. But again I am thankful for each second of it. Thankful Michael wanted to take this time and insisted we do.

On Sunday we went to my Grandmother's country church. The church has been there over a 100 years. We have wedding pictures of my Grandma and Grandpa's wedding in that church. My Grandma was baptized in that church. And I have many memories of that church as I attended it a quite a bit as a little girl. Michael took lots of pictures.

After church Michael and I went to my Grandma's farm. It was sold many years ago. The new owners don't live on it but come and stay out there at times from what I heard. The farm house looked so worn and many of the buildings and garden were gone. I was telling some people at the party that I didn't think I had been out to farm since my Grandma moved into town. And that was in 1987. So that was a long long time ago.

I had lots of good memories that came rushing back as we looked at the farm. It made me cry good tears of fond memories but also sad tears...sad that it is gone.


















When I was little we I would spend a few days to a week with my Grandma during the summer. I would spend lots of time on the swing set. When I leaned back and swung really high I could see the gardens behind me and I would image being a butterfly....that I was this pretty colorful butterfly gliding among the flowers and vegetables.


Part 2 to come later.

No comments: